Thursday, July 20, 2017

A FAREWELL NOTE THAT NEVER REACHED THE INTENDED AUDIENCE

NB
I wrote this note for the staff of Bumdeling Wildlife Sanctuary when I moved to Trashigang in February 2012 on transfer but never reached them. I know I wrote it but never really gave to them. 

Dear friends of BWS,
Much against my will, I am leaving Bumdeling Wildlife Sanctuary and all of you know the reason. I am keeping this note for all of you so that you cherish the sanctuary as much as I do. I like this sanctuary for several reasons and the most heart touching ones I note here to keep you in touch with it. Plain, baffled, anxious and enterprising, I joined BWS in May 1999 and a decade long service to this sanctuary has given me enough experience about itself. Therefore, within the four walls of Bumdeling Wildlife Sanctuary, I have something interesting to share, something that you will not disagree and something that you won’t forget.
Photo 1: View of Thangchenpo area (Photo courtesy of Late Dr. Pralad Yonzon, 2003).

A rough and a know-nothing guy, I first started with a biodiversity survey with an ecologist call Kieth Shaw (I don’t know where he is now) which I still remember afresh. Phurba Lhendup our former staff member and Karma Wangdi were other two fellows in the group. It was through that trip that I knew Laou as a beautiful place, home to the life stretching medicinal plant Panas-pseudo ginseng. I also learnt how to behave with the foreigners during the trip as I later understood that the consultant did not like me much. It was but a lesson to be remembered. You may keep in mind that they do not like naive people like me. So, better be better than me the next time you are with a foreigner on duty.

After a short willy-nilly life in the sanctuary headquarters which was then run from the present Dzongkhag Engineering Cell of Trashiyangtse Dzong, I started Bumdeling Range in April 2000, then a Beat Office under Yangtse Range known only through hearsay. The fat Sonam Tenzin, an ever active person is supposed to have been the in charge of the Beat that time, but I did not see him. He later told me that he was Bumdeling Beat Officer.

Bumdeling then was a quintessential place away from the hustles and bustles of town. I rented a room for my office-cum-residence in a dangerously cracked double storied building on Hobson’s choice. You will feel the difference if you compare Bumdeling in 2000 and 2010 in photographs which are available in any computers of BWS, thanks to the digital technology. If you walk up towards the crane roost early winter mornings you will hear the nature talking to you and if you understand what it means, it would further interest you. And this is one of the several reasons that I have not taken transfer outside Bumdeling Wildlife Sanctuary. Look at the valley for yourself, deep inside you will find that it has the best components of nature. The flood plain, a meandering Kulong Chu, the gradually falling hills of Tshigmar, the end of the plain at Dungzam, a huge Ngalimang village overlooking the plain and the beautifully flying cranes (especially in winters), do not complete the description of the valley.  Dungzam Park Range has the responsibility of safeguarding this beautiful place, the wintering home of the endangered Black-necked Cranes. Hope you guys in Bumdeling would love this place as much as I like it.

Beyond the plains of Bumdeling, Dungzam Range has the opportunity of enjoying the numerous glacial lakes, Rigsoom Latsho, Jang Youmtsho Ngoenmo, Namdha Thruelgi Tsho, Shinjay Latsho and Shar Dungtsho Karmo to name a few. I have had opportunities to see them time and again and enjoy their beauty, I look forward to see them again. You may keep in mind that only few lucky people on the earth have such opportunities. These chances should not be considered less than visiting United States of America (if America is your dream land). If we cannot see their landscape they can’t see ours, so we are equals. While I talk about the lakes, I wouldn’t forget the meadows of Yorpeng, Thabjoor, Changpangtse and Shaliteng. These meadows are home to several wild animals, the purpose of our very existence. Watch carefully, these meadows give you lots of life.

Edward Abbey said “The love of the wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need - if only we had eyes to see.” Read behind this line, you will certainly understand what nature means to us, the humanity.

Religious places wise, Dungzam Range can pride Rigsoom Goenpa, Dechen Phodrang, Pemaling and Tarphel Lhakhang (not so popular but with very good Nangten). Advertising these places and documenting their importance can help them become popular (which means it will help our mandate of conserving tradition and culture will flourish).

Going to south of Bumdeling Wildlife Sanctuary is Serzhong Range, the youngest of the three park ranges curved out of Mongar Forest Division in April, 2004. Being a pioneer, I had the opportunity of starting the office like the one in Bumdeling. I kept its base office in Yadi purposely so that we could use the computer facilities as Serzhong did not have road link and electricity that time. With the team of dedicated staff we began our normal duty of patrolling the Sherichu River and other rivulets. It was here that we knew how diverse our park is.

We have Khoma Range under Lhuentse Dzongkhag jurisdication that looks after Singye Dzong area. How lucky have I been to have served this religious place into which Guru Rimpoche set his foot in? I have no words to express how beautiful Singye Dzong is? Thangchenpo (Photo 1), Rongmateng, Tshokar, Tshona, Youmthramey Latsho, they are all stunning. Please enjoy walking in the area. Never know when I will be able to return but given the chance I look forward to scour these areas again and again.

So, now I think I am keeping the Park Ranges in the hands of honest foresters and rangers. I wish all of you a good luck. Please enjoy your life here. You never know when you will be out of this beautiful place. And thanks to all of you for your sumptuous farewell dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wangyal's Torrent Frog, Amolops wangyali - Species New to Science

[Herpetology 2022] A Review of Torrent frogs ( Amolops : Ranidae) from Bhutan, the Description of a New Species, and Reassessment of the Tax...