Thursday, August 24, 2017

WILD VERSUS BHUTANESE – SOME SPECIAL OBSERVATIONS

NB
These are some of my special observations from the field and are facts that are extant in distant places even today. This piece of writing was online in my earlier blog that was removed for reasons beyond my control. I am posting it here without any changes.


1. FENCING WATER SOURCES

Homo sapiens want water as if other beings do not need them while we know very well that nothing can exist on the earth without water. It is important to consider the wild animals while doing such jobs because the sustainability of mother earth depends on the intricate and complex network and interdependence of various forms of life that the humans called biodiversity. I am putting here just a case that I have seen and I am sure many such things are happening in many other places because we are by nature greedy and would not like to share the resources.

Around the small lake called Darchen in Khamdhang, Trashiyangtse, fencing (Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4; Photo(s) courtesy: Trashigang Territorial Forest Division ) has thrown many wild animals into anger as has been evident from the tracks around the fence looking for a hole to get into the lake to have some water required very much for their survival (4th August 2012).

Figure 1. Foresters around the lake wondering at the kind of fence people made.

Tracks of wild ungulates, cats and many other animals could be seen around the fence proving that they needed water from that source. For the kind information of the readers (if any), the area where the lake is located is dry and there are hardly any water holes nearby for the animals to drink. Once that only source is locked, the only choices left for the wild animals is travel all the way to Dangmechu by crossing the village or reach the Buyang source (on the way to Trashiyangtse) and they can reach the source only if they cross the villages north and south (such is the topography of the area) of the lake.

But the animals while looking for water source can harm the crops of the farmers as they will be using the village routes to reach the water hole. And why not if there is something they can eat on the way they will of course raid the farms. As such, such fences encourage human-wildlife conflicts in an era when such things are seen as serious threat to the poor farmers of Bhutan. Don’t we have gumption? Can’t we improve these things? Are there any policies? I am a wildlifer and I am also a son of a farmer and being such a complex human know something of both ecology and farming. And being such a complex man is very confusing. Feeling of being a loser enters in from every orifices of my physical body.

And being in favour of both wild animals and farmers I am often a confused conservationist - a perfectionist but not perfect, a stagnant traveler (not climbing up my career any more), a symbol of strength bounded by weak links, a homemaker with no roots and a dreamer who fears to fall asleep, not much of a talker more like a thinker and a dreamer. So, my readers know another character of me which I have kept it as secret so far. Can’t we do something about fencing the natural lands as reserves or anything? Can’t we stop fencing our water sources? I am sure there will be something if there are concerns and hope someday my message reach someone who can make decisions.

Figure 2. Look at the number of strands. Even the birds will have tough time to get into.

Figure 3. Another look at Darchen Tsho. Very tight! No entry to wild animals!

Figure 4. Entry to Darchen Tsho, only for Homo sapiens only!

2. STILL USING OAK TREES FOR PLOUGHING THE FIELDS
Our farming system has not improved a bit despite so much of efforts and investments into the farming sector. I do not think Bhutanese Agriculturists will agree with my statement because they have shown such progress on papers and media and I just hope they are right. The case I am putting here is that of Udzorong in Trashigang and nowhere else because I visit the area more than any other Gewogs. Unlike my many friends who visit their girl friends’ villages (I am joking), I visit Udzorong more because in 2012 the year I joined Trashigang Dzong, there were at least 12 incidences of forest fires from the area and they forced me to be there more than in my office in the Dzong. From there on, I make sure that I visit Udzorong more frequently if they see my visiting as solution to reducing forest fires and in an interesting coincidence, forest fires have reduced in Udzorong by many folds now.

One of the most disturbing things I have seen in Udzorong besides forest fires during my visits is the use of Oaks as the ploughs (Figures 5). In the world of technology when it is time that we talk about internet farming our Udzorongpas still use oak. And my question is why they should still use the less permanent forest harming methodology when there are lots of other technologies. A piece of oak plough would not last a day while collecting and treating it is a lengthy process.

First they have to look for matured oak trees, then they should fell, shape, season and treat them wasting lots of time and energy. Felling oak trees by such a large number of households can degrade the environment and render the village and its localities barren in the long run. And I know what Edward Abbey said, "my love of the wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need - if only we had eyes to see" is true in this case. We can do something about this situation. It is possible. But here, I see only blind people and I am actually confused. Such a silly things going on for centuries and still continued.

Therefore, someone must act and teach Udzrongpas some lesson on how to use other materials for their ploughs. One of the methods I suggest is the use of iron ploughs as used by people of Dagana (that I have confirmed information) and other areas in Bhutan. I asked my Ranger in Udzorong to promote the iron ploughs used in his village in Dagana so that out oak trees in Udzorong are saved. But agriculture technology in Udzorong is a failed story because if small things such as the ploughs are not improved I can’t imagine other higher level of developmental agriculture have reached Udzorong. Can the Agriculturists do something about this? Are there any solutions to these mass murdering of oaks?

Figure 5. Plough-tips dried and seasoned for use very soon

3. THE EDIBLE FROGS OF DAIFAM
Batrachologists call them Hoplobatrachus tigerinus and the locals call them Paa (Figures 6) but I don’t have name for it because it is not the Paa that I learned in my amphibian class nor is it a Nanorana species that’s known by the name of Paa. So, I am confused. But they are eaten well by many people.

While returning from my election duty in Merak's Khelephu village, I was forced by strike in Assam to stay a night and a day in Jomotshangkha, Samdrup Jongkhar and that gave me an opportunity to find what type of Paa was eaten in that area. As I reached the Dungkhag administration headquarter, I met my distant friend whose name I know by his village in Bumthang called Tang and his name conveniently derived from his village as Tangpa. It was he who told me that he is drying some Paa frogs at the place he was putting up for taking the meat to Thimphu and pressingly told me that he has some relatives with piles which gets treated with the kind of meat. I told him that frogs do not cure piles because I have not read and found such ideas anywhere in any frogly documents that I have read. But I cannot disagree that I have heard such hearsay from my many friends. However, very strictly speaking, I never read such treatments anywhere. Therefore, I cannot for sure tell whether such treatment helps or it’s just belief. But I have a strong feeling that such ideas are bullshit. But to be honest, I am inclined to also believe that such treatments are there because my friend Tangpa told me that he tried it for himself and insisted that it makes the piles smaller.

Since, he gave his part of story with himself being the example, I started believing it very strongly. So, I asked for at least 10 frogs to be packed and dried for my consumption together with him (Tangpa). But to my amazement, I found that as many as 150 frogs were brought by a seller whom my friend knew very well, that also well dressed (murdered, outer skins removed, viscera taken out and heads cleaned) and a piece of it cost Nu. 45/- (Ngultrum Forty Five) only for a live frog. At least 10 of them were brought alive to show what type of frogs they cut and ate which even surprised me more because they were giant Indian Bull Frogs and not the Nanorana which is called as Paa in actual sense. I wonder how many species are consumables in the wild, because I can feel many species can be eaten by Homo sapiens irrespective of their medicinal values.

Figure 6. Hoplobatrachus tigerinus presented to public as Paa (Nanorana species)

The most interesting thing about this frog is its capacity to cure piles according to my friend Tangpa. I wonder how true it is and would like to start a research on how it does, because if it is true, we can farm the species and treat all the people with piles in Bhutan and the world. And frankly, the belief that this species cure piles cannot be reversed because even the educated ones strongly believe that they cure piles in true sense. But I can tell you, the protein or the carbohydrate content of the frog can help you stay away from hunger and keep you healthy but curing piles need further scientific confirmation.

Whatever the case, I am fine but for one thing, the mass murder without assessment data. While I am very innocent in this belief of curing piles the quantum of animals they collected for my demand for 10 pieces forces me to recall this Cree Indian Poem lines "Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only then you will find that money cannot be eaten."

Can anyone help me rescue the species from such mass collection? Any confirmations for its unconfirmed medicinal values? Shall we not breed and farm them for our pile patients? Anyone there to help me out?

4. NYA DHOTSEM – A FISH DELICACY

That fishes are delicious items in an eating menu; no one can deny but how they are eaten differ by localities. In western Bhutan (I do not want to specifically name the place) there is a fish delicacy in the name of “Nya Dhotsem” (Figures 7). The method of fish catching I will not explain here because it can done in many ways based on the situation but I will explain about how the delicacy is made.

The fishes once out of the water are dressed (scales, gills and viscera removed) and simultaneously young wet bamboo plants are cut and a kind of convenient layer made that goes between the gills hole and the tail region conveniently positioned to dry the dead fishes as in figure 7. They are sun dried if there is ample sun shine but many times they are oven dried. Oven dried here means not those electrical ovens of the developed countries or the rich people but those local ovens fed by the natural woods of Bhutan’s great forests. In a typical Bhutanese home, every kitchen has a Tshanta (a Sharchop term for kind of hanging shelf kept over the oven so that wet things can be dried as and when the oven is lit up for cooking meals) which is very important. I tasted such a delicacy and it is very interesting. I don’t know the cost but I can pay well for the delicacy because it is really testes (tasty).

Figure 7. Nya Dotsem - a delicacy made out of fish.

But what is my issue here? This delicacy does not come to market and I wonder why? Can anyone help me blow this up to such a scale that our fishermen are happy so that they can enjoy.

Disclaimer
This is my personal thought and anything written here is not intended to harm or promote people or things mentioned here. No one is authorized to use the content of this blog for either personal or private purpose. People mentioned here in are fictitious characters and any resemblance to anyone with some characters or more are purely coincidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wangyal's Torrent Frog, Amolops wangyali - Species New to Science

[Herpetology 2022] A Review of Torrent frogs ( Amolops : Ranidae) from Bhutan, the Description of a New Species, and Reassessment of the Tax...